How to get Your Medals

Lost or Damaged Military Medals Can Be Replaced

Medals awarded while in active service are issued but he individual military service if requested by veterans or their next of kin. Request for replacement medals, decorations, and awards should be directed to the branch in which the veteran served. However, for Air Force (including Army Air Corp) and Army veterans, the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) verifies awards and forwards requests and verification to the services.

Requests for replacement medals should be submitted on Standard for 180, “Request Pertaining to Military Record,” which may be obtained at VA offices or the Internet at Form, addresses and other information on requesting medals can be found on the Military Personnel Records section of NPRC’s Website at

For questions, call Military Personnel Records at (314) 801-0800, or email questions to

If discharge or separation documents are lost, Veterans or the next of kin of deceased veterans may obtain duplicate copies through the eBenefits portal ( or by completing forms found on the Internet at and mailing or faxing them to the NPRC.

Alternatively, write the National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, On Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. Specify that a duplicate separation document is needed. Use Standard Form 180, “Request Pertaining To Military Records.” It is not necessary to request a duplicate copy of a veteran’s discharge or separation papers just to file a VA benefit claim.

The Secretary of a Military department, acting through a Board for Correction of Military Records, can change any military record to correct an error or remove an injustice. A correction board may consider applications for correction of a military record, including a review of a discharge issued by court-martial.

The veteran, survivor, or legal representative must file a request for correction within three years of discovering an alleged error or injustice. The board may excuse failure to file within this time, however, in the interest of Justice.

Application for a correction is made with DD Form 149

Download:  How to get your medals

The Union Difference

Training provided in industry supported state-of-the-art training labs.

Union workers make $10.62 more an hour on average than their nonunion counterparts.